Tuesday, February 07, 2006
posted 2/07/2006 01:02:00 AM UTC+12, McMurdo Local Time

Funky weather today out at Willy (wind chill -14f in town,) just barely good enough to keep the airfield open. At one point as I stood waiting for a plane to begin fueling, snow drifts started forming leading off from my boots! Fortunately, Matt and I stayed occupied and had a pretty good time - much better to go into "grin and bear it" mode than just complain about the weather! A bunch of new guys with the national guard came in over the weekend, so today was the first workday for several of them. What an introduction to working in Antarctica! Of course I did my best to play down the nasty weather as being just a little worse than average to mess with them, but I'm sure they figured out what was up quickly enough.

After getting in from work a bit early, I hung out in the MMI (my dorm) lounge munching on snacks and chatting for a bit. Once that crowd all went to bed so I walked over to the galley for midrats (lunch for the nightshift people, dinner for me) complete with some great humor centering around how twisted our minds have all become after working on the ice. Laughed so hard my stomach hurt, but eventually we had to disperse so people could go back to work, and I could get on the computer for a little bit of typing.

<< Home