Thursday, October 06, 2005
posted 10/06/2005 11:49:00 AM UTC+12, McMurdo Local Time

Finally, some pictures!










So, as you can see I finally got around to pulling some pictures off the camera and posting them! Fortunately, the nice people at the Travel Services Centre in the Antarctic Centre allow us to hook up digital cameras to their computers, and use the 'net for free! They're not the best pictures, just a random sampling of a few shots that I've taken over the last few days. The top two are pictures from the famous Christchurch botanical gardens, which are really neat. They're beautifully maintained and have a bunch of very interesting plants and animals - I'll try to get some better pictures of them later in my visit.

The second row is a couple pictures of around town. The one on the left is the cathedral in the center of town. Haven't been in it yet, but will probably do that either later this evening or sometime tomorrow. On the right of the second row is a picture of where I'm staying, the YMCA, and off to the right is the botanical gardens. The Y is at a really handy location, it's obviously right beside the gardens, and it's only a short walk from the center of town. Right across the street from the Y (just out of the frame on the right side) is the arts centre, which is a neat collection of little museums, cafes, shops, and the like. Very cool architecture in this part of town.

And finally, on the bottom row we have a duck.



So, in Antarctic news. Not a whole lot to write about at this point, but I'm sure that I'll be learning lots more before the end of the day. The flight that was supposed to leave this morning was cancelled, so there are a bunch of ice people wandering around apparently aimlessly. I won't be too surprised if my flight gets bumped a day farther leaving me with Saturday to goof off as well! I've got an arrangement to meet with several ice people to play Frisbee shortly, so I'm off to go do that. More later!

<< Home