Friday, August 19, 2005
posted 8/19/2005 07:28:00 AM UTC+12, McMurdo Local Time

Forgot to mention in that last post that I managed to run my dental reimbursement check through the wash while I was on the Colorado Trail. Long story, but here it is:

I got my check in the mail shortly before the CT adventure began, and didn't have a chance to deposit it at the bank until the day before I was going to leave. Since I was living in Longmont at the time, I was going to use an ATM to deposit the check rather than getting to my bank in Boulder. I endorsed the check at the ATM machine, went to deposit it, and for some reason the ATM didn't want to take my deposit. So, without thinking too much about it, I stuck the check in my wallet and planned on depositing it from the first ATM I ran into in a trail town. Easy enough right? Nope. In Leadville, Dirty Bird (my hiking partner at the time) and I stopped by a hostel to get a quick shower and do laundry before getting back on the trail. She got a shower first, and when I was getting mine she took my dirty clothes and tossed them in the wash without checking the pockets. So, my data book turned to confetti, my map got all nice and soft, and my wallet was soaked. Granted, I should have pulled that stuff out of my pockets, but I was more focused on getting clean at the time. The check came out in pretty rough shape. It was in two pieces, and a chunk of the routing number was gone so it was unusable. I dried out the chunks and let Scott know what was going on. To my surprise, that was the first time Scott had run across that problem, so he had to do some research and drop me an email back when he found out what to do. At the next town stop, I was unable to check my email, but on the one after that I had an email waiting with instructions on who to send the check to in order to get it replaced. Got the check mailed off and haven't heard anything back, so I'm assuming that's a good thing and continuing on with this getting ready stuff. Off to packing!

<< Home