Wednesday, February 15, 2006
posted 2/15/2006 08:05:00 AM UTC+12, McMurdo Local Time

Yesterday we did fuel the icebreaker Polar Star, which ended up going really quick and smoothly. After some negotiations (which started after we started pumping,) it was decided that the boat would only be taking on 200,000 gallons of fuel, so the transfer ran quite a lot faster than we had anticipated it would. Had super nice weather too! At one point I was stationed up in the pass to keep an eye on the pump we were using (a three cylinder Deutz - small version of what we use at the runways,) and monitor the fuel level in the bulk tank. Rather than just sitting on the pipeline staring at the pump I ended up just laying on top of the tank in the warm sun staring at the horizon and watching the happenings in town.

Once the transfer was done, we got things shut down and cleaned up, then got to go on a tour of the icebreaker! Unfortunately, my camera ended up staying in the barn all day so I don't have any pictures of the boat. The Polar Star has a little store/gift shop, so I did manage to pick up some souvenir type items and a few candy bars that we don't generally have on station. As we were leaving for the day, Bodie told me I could take tomorrow (now today) off work as a comp day, so I naturally ended up staying out a bit late visiting with friends, some of whom will be leaving today (then tomorrow.)

The plan for today is to put together an alcohol stove to show to some people, make some phone calls, and work on getting the AT presentation that I'll finally be giving tomorrow! More later? We'll see!

<< Home